Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #9 - Useful Library-Related Blogs and Newsfeeds

I am a Google girl because I love the simplicity of the search engine in general (no distractions all over the page), so it's probably no surprise that I prefer Google Blog Search for finding blogs, and find it the easiest for me to use. Topix.net was nice for locating local information by simply typing in a zip code. Edublogs' Award Winners is a nice place to go because there are just a handful of blogs to scroll through on various topics, and you know they are probably good and have a great following because they are award winners. School Library Blogs on Superglu was okay. Both of those sites are useful for reading blogs about my field. Syndic8.com was frustrating as it took forever to load. I was a little confused but had no desire to keep messing with it since it was so slow. Bloglines was okay -- I like how you can change your search to find feeds, posts, websites, or citations, etc. Technorati was confusing at first because of the busyness of it, but after getting to know it better in Thing #14 I found it a good place to find blogs (the tag search is good). Atomic Learning is a great resource for learning about feeds. As far as useful or unusual feeds go, I like the fact that you can locate videos in Technorati, I am also an entertainment junkie, so there are lots of things out there to get my celebrity scoop. :) As far as other news feeds go, I just find it easier to go through CNN.com for national news and Houston Chronicle.com for local - unless I am just really confused at this point -- which wouldn't be a big surprise! :)

No comments: