Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thing #18 - Online Productivity Tools

Okay, Google officially rocks my world! I checked out Google Docs and I cannot wait to utilize all the templates it offers (documents, spreadsheets, presentations, etc.). I spend so much time creating my own templates for things and this could save me some serious time. Here are just a few of the templates I found that could make life easier for people: fax covers, business cards, resumes, lost pet flyers(!), fantasy basketball standings predictor, home blood pressure monitor, baby feeding diary, emergency information for babysitters, recipe cards, and on and on and on. I got I played around with making a photo album of my family. I think I'm done with scrapbooking! There are so many benefits to using Google Docs verses Microsoft Office: (1) you don't have to purchase a program (it's free), (2) you can use any computer with Internet access to pull up your documents (and you don't have to worry about whether or not that computer has MS Office), (3) you can be a PC or MAC user, (4) other people can view your documents and collaborate, (5) you don't have to save your work to a flash drive, (6) it provides help videos (for the visual learner, like me), (7) the myriad of templates available (including research paper templates), and I'm sure I'll discover more. I guess the downside of using Google Docs as opposed to MS Office is... um... maybe... not sure. Well, there might be some font limitations (not too serious) and perhaps some other limitations I will discover in time, but overall, I think Microsoft is probably losing a little money!

1 comment:

S.Malget said...

I agree with your assessment of the many benefits of using Google Docs vs. MS Office. I didn't elaborate as eloquently as you did, but I'm impressed at the list of reasons that you've compiled.

Congrats on finishing!