Monday, July 27, 2009

Thing # 7 - Video Resources (11.5 More Things)

Wow! So many resources for finding videos! Most people know about You Tube and Teacher Tube, etc., and Hulu is being advertised on TV, but it's good to know about the others.

I embedded a video from hulu, which is just a funny Sesame Street skit of Grover in the library. Believe it or not, middle school kids are nostalgic about their favorite elementary books and TV shows, so I thought this would be a good video to show during orientation to remind them about the library. While I am not a stereotypical "shushing" librarian, I could use it to talk about what is and isn't appropriate in the library. See below.



Our 8th graders study the Holocaust every spring and our school holds a special assembly with guess speaker Walter Kase, one of the few remaining Holocaust survivors. It is a really moving time for our students, and I often see students in the library afterwards looking up things online about Walter Kase. Some teachers also bring their classes to the library for Holocaust/World War II research, so I thought a video of another Holocaust survivor (like the following I got from blinkx) would be good to show. I did not see a way to embed this video, so I created a link below.

Holocaust Survivor

Finally, the Twilight saga is still all the rave, so I used Google Video Search to find an interview with Stephenie Meyer. Even if you can't physically bring an author into your school for a visit, you can always show a video of author interviews.



Now I am curios to see if I can embed videos into flip charts, which I plan to make for library orientation this year...

No comments: