Thursday, July 23, 2009

Thing # 6 - iTouch Apps (11.5 More Things)

This "thing" really set me back because I do not have an iTouch or an iPhone (although all my students do -- and one of them has been trying to talk me into getting one for a year). A friend of mine recently got an iPhone so I went to her house and she showed me how to download apps. It was all done from her iPhone (not the iTunes store online) so she lent me the iTouch that came with her Mac and I took it home to learn how to download apps on that, although I was required to pay a $10.00 fee to update my iTunes software. It is amazing how fast and easy it is to do! However, had I not already had experience with my iPod Nano, it would have been a much longer learning process. I downloaded Wikipanion, which is essentially Wikipedia for the iTouch, Facebook, Did You Know,? which provides random facts for the day, and Spanish Tudor. There are SOOOOOO many educational apps that can be used in the library or classroom. I have to admit, I wasn't sold on iTouches being useful in the library until using one. Students can use iTouches to do research on anything (just like a computer). They can download apps like Wikipanion, or go to the SBISD online databases (I just searched for a book in my library...). As far as using the iTouches by multiple students, they can view videos on things like Teacher Tube (or download an app like Poptig to view educaitonal videos), create a photostory, use Facebook for a project (as mentioned in one of my earlier blogs), type assignments, take notes, listen to audio books (by downloading apps such as Bookshelf, or Classics, etc.). The sky is the limit. If they had the latest iPhone they could even take videos and pictures for their projects. It's going to be a while before I return my friend's iTouch because I have more exploring to do. And if you've read my latest Facebook status, you will see that this has now convinced me to get an iPhone. I love my Blackberry, but I am behind the curve and seem to be missing out!

1 comment:

VWB said...

Battling with my self over the change as well. hope to play with daughter's Iphone this week to get some more practice time!